Determination of the association between excessive intake of Rasa and Retinal vascular changes in Pregnancy-Induced Hypertension- A Pilot Study
Keywords:Pregnancy Induced Hypertension, Rasa Sevan, Hypertensive retinopathy, Amla Rasa
Background: Pregnancy-induced hypertension (PIH) is a hypertensive disorder in pregnancy that occurs in the absence of other causes of elevated blood pressure. There are many complications documented for PIH and associated retinal vascular changes in one of them. During pregnancy if proper antenatal care along with diet is not followed, patient may land into complications like PIH related retinopathy. Aim: To determine the retinal changes in pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and any association between the retinal changes and excess intake of specific Rasa. Methods: All the patients admitted in ward with diagnosis of PIH were included in this study. Age, race, gravida, gestation period, blood pressure, and proteinuria along with dietary habit were noted from the case records. After taking history for any eye symptoms, fundus examination was done after dilating the pupils with direct ophthalmoscope in the ward itself. All the findings were noted on a data sheet, and were analyzed. Results: A total of 24 patients of PIH were examined. Majority were urban (75%) and remaining are from rural area (25%). The majority of patients are from 24-28 years age group followed by below 20 years age group. The gestation period ranged from 20 weeks to 38 weeks; 16 (66.6%) were primi gravida. Nineteen (79.1%) patients had mild preeclampsia, 03 (12.5%) had severe preeclampsia and 2 (8.33%) had eclampsia. Retinal changes (hypertensive retinopathy) were not seen in any of these patients Haemorrhages or exudates or retinal detachment were not seen in any patient. There was no association of retinal changes and Rasa Sevan a found in present pilot study. Conclusion: Retinal changes were not seen in any of the patients with PIH in present study sample and there was not found to be associated with excess intake of specific Rasa and severity of the disease. Fundus examination is necessary in assessment of the PIH patient.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 International Journal of Ayurvedic Medicine
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The author hereby transfers, assigns, or conveys all copyright ownership to the International Journal of Ayurvedic Medicine (IJAM). By this transfer, the article becomes the property of the IJAM and may not be published elsewhere without written permission from the IJAM.
This transfer of copyright also implies transfer of rights for printed, electronic, microfilm, and facsimile publication. No royalty or other monetary compensation will be received for transferring the copyright of the article to the IJAM.
The IJAM, in turn, grants each author the right to republish the article in any book for which he or she is the author or editor, without paying royalties to the IJAM, subject to the express conditions that (a) the author notify IJAM in advance in writing of this republication and (b) a credit line attributes the original publication to IJAM.